Switch2 launches new compliance service for updated heat network regulations
Switch2 Energy has launched its new S2 Meter2Bill service to help district heating suppliers comply with major updates to the Heat Network (Metering and Billing) Regulations.
The updated legislation, which came into force on 27 November 2020, introduces a new legal requirement to install final customer meters on existing unmetered networks, where demonstrated to be viable. This is already mandatory for new build and properties undergoing major renovation.
Heat suppliers are now required to put their unmetered heat networks into one of three new building classes. Properties that are categorised as ‘open class’ must use a revised cost-effectiveness tool to assess whether or not they need to install heat meters or heat cost allocators into individual homes. This should be completed by 27 November 2021.
The revised heat network notification template requires the heat network operator to report the number of buildings they have that fall into each of the three new building classes.
Meter2Bill provides the expert support heat suppliers need to make informed decisions about the actions required to comply with the regulations and to meet the regulatory deadlines. This includes:
• Analysing buildings to classify them as ‘open’, ‘viable’ or ‘exempt’
• Completion of cost effectiveness assessments, using the revised tool
• Support with completing revised notification submission
• Assistance with physical survey, if metering is required
• Support with developing the installation programme, if required
• Providing budget costs for supply, installation, and commissioning of the compliant metering system and metering and billing services.
• Advice on procurement options, including capital purchase, metering frameworks and Switch2’s own zero CAPEX financing models
Ian Allan, Head of Market Strategy for Switch2 Energy said: “Heat suppliers have less than 9 months to comply with the first phase of the regulatory changes, which will be especially challenging for those with multiple heat network portfolios. Our new service will take the strain out of the compliance process to provide expert support with all the complex steps involved.
“The regulatory changes will enforce the installation of final heat metering on thousands of properties by 1 September 2022. As a company with over 30 years’ experience of retrofitting heat meters into unmetered schemes in the UK, we can provide complete support with implementing projects, including finance. In our experience, installing smart pay-as-you-go heat meters inside homes achieves energy savings of 35 to 50% compared to flat rate unmetered schemes. That’s positive news for both scheme operators and residents alike.”
Further information: https://content.switch2.co.uk/meter2bill
For more information contact:
John Kennerley, Technical Sales Advisor
telephone: 0330 053 5599 | email: email@example.com | website: www.switch2.co.uk
view profile on ESTA at: www.estaenergy.org.uk/members/?p=683
All Switch2 Energy Limited News
- Managing the ‘perfect storm’ of heat network challenges – webinar series
- Managing the 'perfect storm' of heat network challenges - webinar series | 30th May 2022
- Switch2’s cost & carbon saving heat network technology shortlisted for top energy award
- Switch2's cost & carbon saving heat network technology shortlisted for top energy award | 23rd May 2022
- Switch2 at Smart Housing: How smart heat networks can relieve soaring costs and deliver net zero
- Switch2 at Smart Housing: How smart heat networks can relieve soaring costs and deliver net zero | 12th May 2022
- Switch2 wins government funding to improve heat network performance
- Switch2 Energy has won funding from The Heat Network Efficiency Scheme (HNES) to improve efficiency and carbon performance across 9 of the district and communal heating schemes it operates. | 14th March 2022
- Local area energy planning for low carbon heat networks
- Local area energy planning for low carbon heat networks is the topic of a presentation by Switch2 Energy at the Future of Heat Conference in Birmingham on Wednesday 30 March. | 8th March 2022
- New ICON technology helps heat network suppliers tackle gas price crisis
- The new ICON connected heat interface unit (HIU), launched by Switch2 Energy, is relieving the impact of higher gas prices for heat network suppliers and their customers. | 15th February 2022
- Procure Plus appoints Switch2 to national heat network framework
- Switch2 Energy has been appointed to the Procure Plus framework to supply its new connected ICON heat interface units to heat network providers across social housing and the public sector throughout the UK. | 14th December 2021
- Higher gas prices improve payback of heat network metering
- Record high gas prices have multiplied the payback of installing individual smart metering systems in homes connected to heat networks, according to Switch2 Energy. | 17th November 2021
- How to take urgent steps to comply with heat network regulations
- How to take urgent steps to comply with heat network regulations | 28th October 2021
- Free guide explains important updates to heat network regulations
- District heating specialist Switch2 Energy has published the Essential Guide to the Heat Network Regulations | 1st October 2021