Switch2 Energy welcomes Scotland’s landmark heat network legislation
Switch2 Energy has welcomed news that the Scottish Parliament has passed the Heat Networks (Scotland) Bill, which will accelerate the growth of heat networks – helping to cut emissions, reduce fuel poverty and create green jobs.
Kirsty Lambert, Director of Switch2, said “With this landmark legislation, Scotland is targeting a 20-fold increase in the number of homes connected to heat networks by 2030. We are proud to play a role in supplying and operating some of the existing 830 Scottish heat networks and look forward to helping to develop future projects that provide a sustainable, affordable and reliable solution for heating towns and cities.”
” Heat Networks are a proven and cost-effective method of reducing the carbon intensity of domestic heating and the legislation will help Scotland deliver on its net zero 2045 ambitions. Providing heating from a central low carbon source, rather than individual fossil fuel can also achieve cost savings, which the Scottish Government estimates at around £130 for every household that connects to a heat network.”
Scotland is the first UK country to introduce legislation that supports heat network growth, including an ambitious goal to connect 650,000 homes by the end of the decade.
A new licensing system is also being created to drive up industry standards and improve consumer service and confidence. New legal rights for heat network developers and operators will also be introduced – to achieve greater alignment with regulated utilities and increase investment and growth in the sector.
Crucially, a new consent system will ensure that new heat networks are rolled out in locations where they will deliver most benefit and meet local needs.
Scotland’s Energy Minister Paul Wheelhouse said: “Heat networks have huge potential to reduce emissions in our homes and buildings by providing more efficient, environmentally-friendly solutions. The Heat Networks (Scotland) Bill – the first legislation of its kind in the UK – unlocks this potential, and marks the beginning of what will be a period of transformational change in how we heat our homes and business premises.”
Switch2 Energy works with many of the UK’s leading housing providers to deliver all aspects of heat network design, development and long-term operation – serving 80,000 residents and 200 clients across 500 heat schemes.
Further information: www.switch2.co.uk
For more information contact:
John Kennerley, Technical Sales Advisor
telephone: 0330 053 5599 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | website: www.switch2.co.uk
view profile on ESTA at: www.estaenergy.org.uk/members/?p=683
All Switch2 Energy Limited News
- Managing the ‘perfect storm’ of heat network challenges – webinar series
- Managing the 'perfect storm' of heat network challenges - webinar series | 30th May 2022
- Switch2’s cost & carbon saving heat network technology shortlisted for top energy award
- Switch2's cost & carbon saving heat network technology shortlisted for top energy award | 23rd May 2022
- Switch2 at Smart Housing: How smart heat networks can relieve soaring costs and deliver net zero
- Switch2 at Smart Housing: How smart heat networks can relieve soaring costs and deliver net zero | 12th May 2022
- Switch2 wins government funding to improve heat network performance
- Switch2 Energy has won funding from The Heat Network Efficiency Scheme (HNES) to improve efficiency and carbon performance across 9 of the district and communal heating schemes it operates. | 14th March 2022
- Local area energy planning for low carbon heat networks
- Local area energy planning for low carbon heat networks is the topic of a presentation by Switch2 Energy at the Future of Heat Conference in Birmingham on Wednesday 30 March. | 8th March 2022
- New ICON technology helps heat network suppliers tackle gas price crisis
- The new ICON connected heat interface unit (HIU), launched by Switch2 Energy, is relieving the impact of higher gas prices for heat network suppliers and their customers. | 15th February 2022
- Procure Plus appoints Switch2 to national heat network framework
- Switch2 Energy has been appointed to the Procure Plus framework to supply its new connected ICON heat interface units to heat network providers across social housing and the public sector throughout the UK. | 14th December 2021
- Higher gas prices improve payback of heat network metering
- Record high gas prices have multiplied the payback of installing individual smart metering systems in homes connected to heat networks, according to Switch2 Energy. | 17th November 2021
- How to take urgent steps to comply with heat network regulations
- How to take urgent steps to comply with heat network regulations | 28th October 2021
- Free guide explains important updates to heat network regulations
- District heating specialist Switch2 Energy has published the Essential Guide to the Heat Network Regulations | 1st October 2021