Switch2 Energy welcomes Scotland’s landmark heat network legislation
Switch2 Energy has welcomed news that the Scottish Parliament has passed the Heat Networks (Scotland) Bill, which will accelerate the growth of heat networks – helping to cut emissions, reduce fuel poverty and create green jobs.
Kirsty Lambert, Director of Switch2, said “With this landmark legislation, Scotland is targeting a 20-fold increase in the number of homes connected to heat networks by 2030. We are proud to play a role in supplying and operating some of the existing 830 Scottish heat networks and look forward to helping to develop future projects that provide a sustainable, affordable and reliable solution for heating towns and cities.”
” Heat Networks are a proven and cost-effective method of reducing the carbon intensity of domestic heating and the legislation will help Scotland deliver on its net zero 2045 ambitions. Providing heating from a central low carbon source, rather than individual fossil fuel can also achieve cost savings, which the Scottish Government estimates at around £130 for every household that connects to a heat network.”
Scotland is the first UK country to introduce legislation that supports heat network growth, including an ambitious goal to connect 650,000 homes by the end of the decade.
A new licensing system is also being created to drive up industry standards and improve consumer service and confidence. New legal rights for heat network developers and operators will also be introduced – to achieve greater alignment with regulated utilities and increase investment and growth in the sector.
Crucially, a new consent system will ensure that new heat networks are rolled out in locations where they will deliver most benefit and meet local needs.
Scotland’s Energy Minister Paul Wheelhouse said: “Heat networks have huge potential to reduce emissions in our homes and buildings by providing more efficient, environmentally-friendly solutions. The Heat Networks (Scotland) Bill – the first legislation of its kind in the UK – unlocks this potential, and marks the beginning of what will be a period of transformational change in how we heat our homes and business premises.”
Switch2 Energy works with many of the UK’s leading housing providers to deliver all aspects of heat network design, development and long-term operation – serving 80,000 residents and 200 clients across 500 heat schemes.
Further information: www.switch2.co.uk
For more information contact:
John Kennerley, Technical Sales Advisor
telephone: 0330 053 5599 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | website: www.switch2.co.uk
view profile on ESTA at: www.estaenergy.org.uk/members/switch2-energy-limited
All Switch2 Energy Limited News
- Retrofitting heat networks for affordable carbon reduction
- Retrofitting heat networks for decarbonisation – at a price customers can afford | 16th April 2021
- Switch2 launches new compliance service for updated heat network regulations
- Switch2 Energy has launched its new S2 Meter2Bill service to help district heating suppliers comply with major updates to the Heat Network (Metering and Billing) Regulations. | 8th March 2021
- Switch2 Energy welcomes Scotland’s landmark heat network legislation
- Switch2 Energy welcomes Scotland's landmark heat network legislation | 3rd March 2021
- Switch2 Energy announces Bitesize heat network webinar series
- Switch2 Energy has announced its new Bitesize lunchtime webinars, which cover the latest know-how in planning, designing, developing and operating heat networks. | 11th February 2021
- Switch2 welcomes improved standards for UK heat networks
- Switch2 Energy has welcomed publication of the new CIBSE CP1 (2020) Heat Networks Code of Practice, which will drive further improvements in the planning, design, development, commissioning and operation of UK district and community heating schemes. | 25th January 2021
- Webinar shows heat network suppliers how to comply with new metering regulations
- Webinar shows heat network suppliers how to comply with new metering regulations | 15th January 2021
- Switch2 Energy releases guidance to updated Heat Network Regulations
- Updated legislation for heat networks came into force on 27 November 2020. The revisions aim to drive best practice in smart metering & billing and improve network performance. | 8th December 2020
- Switch2 appointed to ProcurePublic heat network framework
- Switch2 Energy has been appointed to the ProcurePublic framework to supply heat network metering, billing and interface equipment to the public sector across the UK. | 17th November 2020
- Webinars show housing providers how to deliver on next generation heat network ambitions
- Heat network specialist Switch2 Energy and lawyers Winckworth Sherwood are hosting two webinars to help housing providers plan and deliver next generation low and zero carbon heat networks. | 9th October 2020
- Guide to generating and selling electricity on residential developments
- Heat network specialist Switch2 Energy and law firm Penningtons Manches Cooper have published a free guide to selling electricity generated on-site at residential developments. | 8th September 2020