Switch2 Energy welcomes Scotland’s landmark heat network legislation
Switch2 Energy has welcomed news that the Scottish Parliament has passed the Heat Networks (Scotland) Bill, which will accelerate the growth of heat networks – helping to cut emissions, reduce fuel poverty and create green jobs.
Kirsty Lambert, Director of Switch2, said “With this landmark legislation, Scotland is targeting a 20-fold increase in the number of homes connected to heat networks by 2030. We are proud to play a role in supplying and operating some of the existing 830 Scottish heat networks and look forward to helping to develop future projects that provide a sustainable, affordable and reliable solution for heating towns and cities.”
” Heat Networks are a proven and cost-effective method of reducing the carbon intensity of domestic heating and the legislation will help Scotland deliver on its net zero 2045 ambitions. Providing heating from a central low carbon source, rather than individual fossil fuel can also achieve cost savings, which the Scottish Government estimates at around £130 for every household that connects to a heat network.”
Scotland is the first UK country to introduce legislation that supports heat network growth, including an ambitious goal to connect 650,000 homes by the end of the decade.
A new licensing system is also being created to drive up industry standards and improve consumer service and confidence. New legal rights for heat network developers and operators will also be introduced – to achieve greater alignment with regulated utilities and increase investment and growth in the sector.
Crucially, a new consent system will ensure that new heat networks are rolled out in locations where they will deliver most benefit and meet local needs.
Scotland’s Energy Minister Paul Wheelhouse said: “Heat networks have huge potential to reduce emissions in our homes and buildings by providing more efficient, environmentally-friendly solutions. The Heat Networks (Scotland) Bill – the first legislation of its kind in the UK – unlocks this potential, and marks the beginning of what will be a period of transformational change in how we heat our homes and business premises.”
Switch2 Energy works with many of the UK’s leading housing providers to deliver all aspects of heat network design, development and long-term operation – serving 80,000 residents and 200 clients across 500 heat schemes.
Further information: www.switch2.co.uk
For more information contact:
John Kennerley, Technical Sales Advisor
telephone: 0330 053 5599 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | website: www.switch2.co.uk
view profile on ESTA at: www.estaenergy.org.uk/members/switch2-energy-limited
All Switch2 Energy Limited News
- Free guide explains important updates to heat network regulations
- District heating specialist Switch2 Energy has published the Essential Guide to the Heat Network Regulations | 1st October 2021
- Heat networks: Making the cost effective transition to net zero
- Heat networks: Making the cost effective transition to net zero | 16th September 2021
- New heat network funding opportunities
- Heat network developers and owners can find out more about two new funding opportunities to improve energy efficiency and transition to low and zero carbon technologies at a free webinar, hosted by Switch2 Energy on 16 September (10am to 11am). | 27th August 2021
- Switch2 to demonstrate next generation residential heat network solutions at Housing 2021
- District and community heating specialist Switch2 Energy will show residential heat network providers how next generation technologies can help them get ahead on net zero and regulatory compliance at Housing 2021 | 19th August 2021
- Leeds City Council partners with Switch2 to comply with Heat Network Regulations
- Leeds City Council is partnering with Switch2 Energy to achieve compliance with the updated Heat Network (Metering & Billing) Regulations. | 16th August 2021
- Retrofitting heat networks for affordable carbon reduction
- Retrofitting heat networks for decarbonisation – at a price customers can afford | 16th April 2021
- Switch2 launches new compliance service for updated heat network regulations
- Switch2 Energy has launched its new S2 Meter2Bill service to help district heating suppliers comply with major updates to the Heat Network (Metering and Billing) Regulations. | 8th March 2021
- Switch2 Energy welcomes Scotland’s landmark heat network legislation
- Switch2 Energy welcomes Scotland's landmark heat network legislation | 3rd March 2021
- Switch2 Energy announces Bitesize heat network webinar series
- Switch2 Energy has announced its new Bitesize lunchtime webinars, which cover the latest know-how in planning, designing, developing and operating heat networks. | 11th February 2021
- Switch2 welcomes improved standards for UK heat networks
- Switch2 Energy has welcomed publication of the new CIBSE CP1 (2020) Heat Networks Code of Practice, which will drive further improvements in the planning, design, development, commissioning and operation of UK district and community heating schemes. | 25th January 2021