On route to sustainability – Manchester’s green buses powered by Centrica technology
Stagecoach’s newly opened green mass transportation scheme in Manchester is being powered by Centrica’s Electric Vehicle (EV) enablement solution.
Centrica Business Solutions has provided bus charging infrastructure for Stagecoach which is delivering one of Europe’s largest single investments in electric buses, after securing £6.9m in support funding from the Department of Transport’s Ultra Low-Emission Bus Scheme (ULEB).
A total of 32 fully electric double-decker e-buses have been introduced on routes in Manchester, with a further two also live in Cambridge.
The Enviro EV400 bus is a joint venture between Alexander Dennis, which delivered the chassis, body and internal furnishings, while the batteries and drive train were provided by BYD. Each has a range of up to 190 miles and capacity to carry around 80 passengers.
The e-bus fleet operates two key high frequency services connecting Manchester city centre, Manchester Airport, five hospitals and two universities, saving 920,000 litres of diesel a year and reducing annual CO2 by 2,400 tonnes.
The buses are equipped with two charging points and each charger has twin 40kW AC feeds. When combined, the 80kW supply means the buses can be recharged in just three and a half hours.
Centrica Business Solutions led the design and delivery of the charging infrastructure project which includes a new 6.6kV HV timed connection, 2MVA transformer, on site solar generation and charger energy management system. The system is built with expansion in mind, enabling Stagecoach to scale their energy needs, when further routes are electrified.
Stagecoach is the UK’s biggest investor in hybrid-electric bus technology, investing more than £1billion in new greener buses over the past decade.
Elisabeth Tasker, Managing Director of Stagecoach Manchester, said: “This is a significant milestone in the history of transport in Greater Manchester and represents one of the biggest single investments in electric buses anywhere in Europe. It will deliver major benefits for our customers, the region and other road users in delivering greener transport on some of Manchester’s busiest roads.”
Chris Jackson, Head of Fleet Partnerships at Centrica Business Solutions, said, “Stagecoach is a fantastic partner to work with and it is a privilege to support them with their decarbonisation strategy. These buses must go out on time, every time and that was our primary objective – the success of this project came as a result of sharing our expertise derived from a long history in energy, infrastructure and optimisation. All of which means Stagecoach can maximise the use of lower cost, off-peak electricity and, in turn, reduce the cost per mile of operation.”
Centrica Business Solutions developed a dynamic charging schedule which means Stagecoach can access lower energy costs, and take advantage of surplus energy on the grid, ensuring the cost for upgrading their supply was minimised.
For more information contact:
Ian Hopkins, Sales Director
telephone: 07989 494454 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | website: www.centricabusinesssolutions.com
view profile on ESTA at: www.estaenergy.org.uk/members/centrica-business-solutions-uk-limited
All Centrica Business Solutions UK Limited News
- On route to sustainability – Manchester’s green buses powered by Centrica technology
- Stagecoach’s newly opened green mass transportation scheme in Manchester is being powered by Centrica’s Electric Vehicle (EV) enablement solution. | 11th September 2020
- Webinar: Lessons from switching to an EV Fleet
- Webinar: Lessons from switching to an EV Fleet | 7th September 2020
- Centrica and NEC announce energy service partnership
- Work is underway on a major energy project at the NEC, Birmingham, which will see the UK’s leading events venue generate its power needs onsite. | 20th August 2020
- Centrica Business Solutions supports Build Back Better revolution with capital-free energy generation product
- Centrica Business Solutions (CBS) has extended its range of financing options with the launch of an Energy as a Service bundle that includes the design, installation and financing of on-site power generation. | 18th June 2020
- Centrica and AVK to partner in the delivery of data centre energy solutions
- Centrica Business Solutions and AVK have signed an exclusive collaboration agreement to co-develop solutions for the data centre market utilising gas engine power generation systems and other energy technologies. | 26th May 2020
- Centrica – New guide shows how to manage energy costs in challenging times
- Centrica Business Solutions has published a new guide that details five opportunities to help businesses manage energy costs in challenging times. | 4th May 2020
- Free webinar shows businesses how to accelerate the electric vehicle transition
- The 'Accelerating the Electric Vehicle Drive' webinar is being hosted by Centrica Business Solutions, which is helping thousands of organisations to make the shift to sustainable transport. | 6th April 2020
- How to use energy optimisation to reduce energy costs and drive growth
- How to use energy optimisation to reduce energy costs and drive growth | 6th February 2020
- Powering the Transition to Electric Vehicles
- How businesses and public sector organisations need to rethink their energy strategy #ThisIsPositiveEnergy | 31st October 2019
- New Centrica report uncovers potential for £5.6bn saving on Public Sector Energy spend by 2035
- The public sector could unlock more than £375m in cost savings every year by adopting modern energy technology, according to new research released by Centrica Business Solutions today. | 20th September 2019