New Centrica report uncovers potential for £5.6bn saving on Public Sector Energy spend by 2035
The public sector could unlock more than £375m in cost savings every year by adopting modern energy technology, according to new research released by Centrica Business Solutions today.
The saving, which amounts to over £5.6bn over a typical 15-year energy contract, is identified in a new study that aims to assess the economic opportunity of the healthcare, universities and defence estate adopting green technology such as solar panels and combined heat and power units. Investment in this area would also drive an additional positive impact for the UK economy, supporting 25,000 jobs.
The Powering Britain’s Public Sector report found that if just half of public sector organisations within these three sectors updated their energy infrastructure, they would reduce emissions by eight per cent and save 660,000 tonnes of carbon each year – the equivalent of taking over 435,000 cars off the road. The carbon reduction savings could be doubled with the injection of around 20% green gas – a type of gas created from biodegradable material – into the fuel mix.
The NHS has the lion’s share of potential savings, with a total annual savings opportunity of £187m, enough to pay the salaries of more than 5,800 nurses.
Combined, the three public sector estates are responsible for more than 7.8million tonnes of carbon emissions each year and have been challenged by the Government to reduce emissions by 30% by 2020/21 and hit net zero by 2050.
Iain Conn, Centrica Group Chief Executive, said: “Government bodies have two very clear challenges, to operate more cost effectively and more sustainably. New energy technologies, adopted aggressively, have the potential to unlock both.
“Over the last four years, Centrica has been building the capabilities in energy services and solutions to satisfy the changing needs of our customers, and to enable their transition to a lower carbon future. This report sets out how we can help our customers in these critical sectors of the UK economy.”
Richard Hookway, Chief Executive of Centrica Business, said: “The Government has announced £1.8bn of extra capital funding for the NHS. Investing a fraction of this in distributed energy technology would not only improve the resilience of trusts but would create long term savings that could be redirected towards new nurses, new infrastructure and protecting vital front-line services.
“What’s needed now is for government and public sector leaders to work together on making this opportunity a reality. Centrica has committed to helping the public sector deliver £300m in energy efficiency savings by 2030 as part of our responsible business ambitions, so we are ready to support.”
To enable the public sector to push forward these changes, Centrica makes four recommendations to Government, including the simplification of procurement frameworks and a stable and long-term regulatory environment.
To read the full report, please click here.
For more information contact:
Ian Hopkins, Sales Director
telephone: 07989 494454 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | website: www.centricabusinesssolutions.com
view profile on ESTA at: www.estaenergy.org.uk/members/centrica-business-solutions-uk-limited
All Centrica Business Solutions UK Limited News
- On route to sustainability – Manchester’s green buses powered by Centrica technology
- Stagecoach’s newly opened green mass transportation scheme in Manchester is being powered by Centrica’s Electric Vehicle (EV) enablement solution. | 11th September 2020
- Webinar: Lessons from switching to an EV Fleet
- Webinar: Lessons from switching to an EV Fleet | 7th September 2020
- Centrica and NEC announce energy service partnership
- Work is underway on a major energy project at the NEC, Birmingham, which will see the UK’s leading events venue generate its power needs onsite. | 20th August 2020
- Centrica Business Solutions supports Build Back Better revolution with capital-free energy generation product
- Centrica Business Solutions (CBS) has extended its range of financing options with the launch of an Energy as a Service bundle that includes the design, installation and financing of on-site power generation. | 18th June 2020
- Centrica and AVK to partner in the delivery of data centre energy solutions
- Centrica Business Solutions and AVK have signed an exclusive collaboration agreement to co-develop solutions for the data centre market utilising gas engine power generation systems and other energy technologies. | 26th May 2020
- Centrica – New guide shows how to manage energy costs in challenging times
- Centrica Business Solutions has published a new guide that details five opportunities to help businesses manage energy costs in challenging times. | 4th May 2020
- Free webinar shows businesses how to accelerate the electric vehicle transition
- The 'Accelerating the Electric Vehicle Drive' webinar is being hosted by Centrica Business Solutions, which is helping thousands of organisations to make the shift to sustainable transport. | 6th April 2020
- How to use energy optimisation to reduce energy costs and drive growth
- How to use energy optimisation to reduce energy costs and drive growth | 6th February 2020
- Powering the Transition to Electric Vehicles
- How businesses and public sector organisations need to rethink their energy strategy #ThisIsPositiveEnergy | 31st October 2019
- New Centrica report uncovers potential for £5.6bn saving on Public Sector Energy spend by 2035
- The public sector could unlock more than £375m in cost savings every year by adopting modern energy technology, according to new research released by Centrica Business Solutions today. | 20th September 2019