EQUANS UK & Ireland strengthens its commitment to the energy transition through enhanced net zero target
• Revised roadmap brings forward net zero targets by more than a decade
• Net zero by 2030 across Scope 1 & 2 emissions, with net zero heat networks by 2035
• Net zero by 2045 for all Scope 3 emissions
• Commitment to independent validation by Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi)
• Commitment to helping accelerate zero carbon strategies for clients
EQUANS UK & Ireland, has strengthened its existing commitment to decarbonisation by publishing a revised net zero roadmap which accelerates company-wide reductions in scope 1 and 2 emissions by more than a decade, contributing towards global action to tackle climate change.
The roadmap now sets enhanced targets for net zero* in scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2030 – for offices, construction sites and fleet, and by 2035 for heat networks. Both targets were previously set to reach net zero by 2045. The move means that the business has a clearly defined path to reduce emissions in line with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and a 1.5-degree global warming scenario as set out in the goals of the Paris Agreement. These new targets and annual progress against them will be submitted for approval and then independently validated against a framework of internationally recognised science-based criteria set by Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi).
EQUANS UK & Ireland’s target for net zero in Scope 3 emissions, which includes indirect emissions such as travel, grey fleet, water, waste, services delivered to clients and supply chain remains unchanged at 2045.
A roadmap for success
The new roadmap and strengthened targets have been made following a succession of actions undertaken by the business since 2017. These include a reduction in scope 1 and 2 emissions of over 13,000 tonnes from office sites, travel and through initiatives such as the introduction of over 800 new electric vehicles – equating to c. 25% of the current EQUANS UK & Ireland fleet.
The business will continue to follow the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) Greenhouse Gas Management Hierarchy to guide its net zero strategy decision making, with a focus on elimination, substitution, and reduction of carbon emissions. Net Zero will be achieved through a series of direct actions across all three scopes, with carbon offset only considered as a very last resort.
To support the roadmap’s strategy, the business has also developed a robust governance framework consisting of several net zero carbon workstreams, each with Executive-level sponsors. As a result, accountability rests at the highest level of the organization. EQUANS will also call upon the strong energy services expertise of its own teams to deliver decarbonization plans across its operations.
The UK & Ireland net zero targets will form part of EQUANS’ wider global IMPACT framework of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) commitments, balancing global initiatives with local action.
At the core of our purpose: making net zero carbon happen
Beyond its own journey, EQUANS is also committed to combining its expertise to support its clients in their own energy and net zero transitions and has helped them collectively reduce their emissions by over 400,000 tonnes over the last 5-years. The business offers a wide range of services to address every area of carbon reduction including the development of net zero roadmaps, changing of energy mix, heating, cooling, e-mobility and building refurbishment.
Jean-Philippe Loiseau, CEO of EQUANS UK & Ireland said: “Answering the climate emergency remains the most important challenge of our times. We are proud to lead by example through accelerating our commitment to reach net zero with the implementation of our new roadmap and by committing to the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
Aside from our own actions, we also take seriously our role as an enabler for many of our customers in their own energy transition and net zero journey. They are able to benefit from the unique depth of expertise we have gained over many years in both decarbonization and the development of net zero solutions – something which remains a real differentiator within our sector. We hope that by sharing our own commitments and progress we will inspire others to themselves take enhanced action to make net zero carbon happen”
Jamie Quinn, Director of Responsible Business and SHEQ commented: “Our commitment is a reflection of the decarbonization journey we have already taken as a business, strengthened within a framework of clear targets and concrete actions. This commitment contributes to the global movement responding to the climate emergency, the expectations from our employees, clients, and the communities in which we operate. We look forward to working with our stakeholders over the coming months and years to make net zero a reality”
Further information on EQUANS UK & Ireland’s journey to achieve net zero can be found here
* The SBTi Net-Zero Standard defines corporate net-zero as: Reducing scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions to zero or to a residual level that is consistent with reaching. net-zero emissions at the global or sector level in eligible 1.5°C-aligned pathways. The SBTi requires that companies set targets based on emission reductions through direct action within their own boundaries or their value chains. Offsets are only considered to be an option for companies wanting to finance additional emission reductions beyond their science-based target (SBT) or net-zero target.
For more information contact:
Michael Flood, Head of Public Sector - Energy and Carbon Solutions
telephone: 07977 037458 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | website: www.equans.co.uk
view profile on ESTA at: www.estaenergy.org.uk/members/equans
All EQUANS News
- EQUANS UK & Ireland strengthens its commitment to the energy transition through enhanced net zero target
- • Revised roadmap brings forward net zero targets by more than a decade • Net zero by 2030 across Scope 1 & 2 emissions, with net zero heat networks by 2035 • Net zero by 2045 for all Scope 3 emissions • Commitment to independent validation by Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) • Commitment to
- EQUANS launches EQUANS Digital
- A range of digital offers to develop the technical and environmental performance of its customers. | 24th May 2022
- EQUANS secures FM contract with Bruntwood SciTech
- EQUANS secures FM contract with Bruntwood SciTech | 16th May 2022