Armstrong Fluid Technology’s Sustainability Achievements celebrated with presentation of Queen’s Award
Armstrong Fluid Technology was presented with the Queen’s Award for Enterprise for Sustainable Development on the 27th of October by Kui Man Gerry Yueng OBE, Her Majesty’s Deputy Lieutenant of Greater Manchester. The honour was announced earlier this year, with the company becoming the first in the commercial-scale HVAC sector to receive such an accolade.
The presentation ceremony took place at Armstrong’s state-of-the-art facility in Manchester, involving a tour of the premises followed by a presentation on Armstrong’s award-winning sustainability initiatives. This was followed by a speech by the Deputy Lieutenant and the receipt of the coveted scroll and crystal by Steve Cooper (Director of Sustainable Design, Armstrong Fluid Technology).
Now in its 55th year, the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise are the most prestigious business awards in the country, with recognised businesses able to bear the esteemed Queen’s Awards emblem for the next five years. Of the exclusive list of just 205 organisations recognised this year, Armstrong Fluid Technology was one of only 17 to receive an award in the Sustainable Development category.
Armstrong Fluid Technology is an international company, with eight manufacturing facilities on four continents. In the UK, the company recently expanded its presence, relocating its operations in the West Midlands to a larger production facility in Droitwich. With advanced solutions that leverage edge computing, IoT, machine learning, digital twin technology and demand-based control, Armstrong provides and protects efficiency in building mechanical systems, approaching energy optimisation as a whole-building challenge and advancing the practice of full lifecycle management. Focusing on HVAC, plumbing, gas transmission and fire safety applications, Armstrong provide energy-efficient, cost-effective solutions and performance management services that deliver the lowest installed cost, lowest operational cost and lowest life-cost to applications all around the world.
In 2012, the company brought together its sustainability efforts to form a single global programme, called Planet Proposition, to drive progress towards more ambitious environmental targets. The sustainability improvements, made through the Planet Proposition programme and led by Steve Cooper, Sustainable Design Director, have now been recognised with the presentation of the UK’s most prestigious business award.
Armstrong’s Planet Proposition is based on three pillars: Solutions, Environment and Community. Armstrong HVAC solutions enable customers to make significant improvements in the environmental performance of buildings. Armstrong has also made considerable reductions to its own environmental impact with ambitious internal targets to reduce energy use worldwide. At Armstrong’s Manchester factory, a 250 kilowatt peak (kWp) solar PV system has been installed for on-site energy generation. The solar photovoltaic panels, covering a roof area of 1,550m2, provided 40% of the plant’s total electricity requirement in 2020. Other environmental initiatives undertaken include the implementation of LED lighting with automatic sensors, electric car charging points, water recycling in test facilities and a widespread waste-sorting programme to reduce waste-to-landfill. Armstrong also carries out community initiatives at its sites throughout the world, including working with schools to promote sustainability, and fundraising for local charities. A particularly popular project in the UK has involved the creation of a vegetable garden in Manchester. Produce from the garden is sold throughout the year to raise money for the British Heart Foundation.
Steve Cooper of Armstrong commented, “Sustainability involves a number of small changes that, when combined, make a big difference. This award is in recognition of the collaborative efforts of everyone at Armstrong since 2012. We all play our part, whether that involves the products we create, to help our customers save energy and CO2, or the way we develop our buildings and carry out our operations. Initiatives such as installing solar panels and implementing processes at our plants to manufacture more sustainably are important. But so are simple day-to-day measures such as individuals switching off lights and recycling to reduce waste. It’s been a real team effort and we are extremely proud of our achievement. Having reached this important milestone, we are now setting our sights on the next key sustainability goal, as we strive for all of our plants around the globe to be Net Zero by 2030.”
All Armstrong Integrated Limited News
- Armstrong Fluid Technology’s Sustainability Achievements celebrated with presentation of Queen’s Award
- Armstrong Fluid Technology was presented with the Queen's Award for Enterprise for Sustainable Development on the 27th of October by Kui Man Gerry Yueng OBE, Her Majesty’s Deputy Lieutenant of Greater Manchester. | 2nd November 2021
- Armstrong Fluid Technology wins Project of the Year accolade at the Pump Industry Awards
- Armstrong Fluid Technology has emerged victorious in the Project of the Year category at the prestigious Pump Industry Awards 2020/2021. | 13th October 2021
- Armstrong Fluid Technology UK expansion continues with official opening of new Droitwich site
- Armstrong Fluid Technology UK expansion continues with official opening of new Droitwich site | 13th September 2021
- Upcoming Armstrong Fluid Technology webinars
- Armstrong Fluid Technology has a busy webinar programme lined up for July and August. | 7th July 2021
- Armstrong unveils new line of outdoor pumps with permanent magnet motors up to 10hp
- Armstrong unveils new line of outdoor pumps with permanent magnet motors up to 10hp | 25th May 2021
- Armstrong Fluid Technology receives Queen’s Award for Enterprise for Sustainable Development
- Armstrong Fluid Technology have been honoured with a Queen's Award for Enterprise for Sustainable Development, making them the first company in the commercial-scale HVAC sector to achieve this accolade based on their contributions to sustainability | 30th April 2021
- Trial Armstrong’s pump performance technology for FREE
- Free trial of Armstrong Pump Manager | 21st April 2021
- 3-day delivery now available on top Armstrong pumps
- Armstrong Fluid Technology has announced that its most popular Design Envelope pumps are now available with a 3-day quick-ship delivery time. | 22nd October 2020
- New Towermax from Armstrong, takes chiller efficiency to another level
- A new control solution, launched by Armstrong Fluid Technology, will enable operating efficiencies of chiller plants to be improved significantly, delivering energy savings of up to 45% and water savings of up to 12%. | 18th June 2020
- Armstrong Fluid Technology launches Design Envelope
- Armstrong Fluid Technology has announced the launch of Design Envelope EVERCOOLTM, a new solution for rapid deployment in mission critical cooling applications. | 18th June 2020